Mandrake Linux

Been playing around with different Linux distros, which is something I always enjoy doing, and ran across an old favorite, Mandriva Linux. I have used Mandriva before, back when it was still called "Mandrake", and it was one of my very first full featured Distros, that i actually paid money for. Before that, i had always used the floppy disk type Linux distribution's, that would boot you into a live terminal, all running in memory, and learned enough to try using a full blown install. I remember that I did have some problem with it, and it took a lot of configuring to get it to work properly, but eventually i had a full install on my computer, dual booting Win98SE and mandrake. What fun those days were. Eventually my curiosity got the better of me though, and I moved onto other distribution's of Linux, finally landing on Slackware.

I thought I would give Mandriva a try, since it had been at least 5 years since the last time I had used it. What a disappointment it has been so far though. It is not liking my Nvidia Geforce video card at all, and when you boot up into the desktop everything just locks up, and the CPU usage skyrockets, doing nothing but sitting their staring back at you. I think I even detect a little bit of a glare from it as it is doing this. Eventually everything locked up SO badly that all I could do was pull the power cord out of the back of the system. That was after letting the system run all night, hoping that whatever was causing the bottleneck would work thru. No such luck.

I am going to give it a few more days though, and see if i can configure it to actually be usable on this computer system. Keeps your fingers crossed, and i will do the same.....